Tuesday, August 2, 2011

i'm in heaven!!!!

oh my gosh, what breakthroughs last nite and just now with my new cat, an almost 2 yr old F2 male savannah.... i'm euphoric, really can't get much better than this folks...
just to update you, he came to live with us July 22nd... i didn't know how long it would take for us to bond but as he lived in a household with 3 women he is bonding quickly with me
last nite he played FETCH, it was incredible and funny to boot as after every 2-3 carries back to me, he would detour past water bowl and dunk the little stuffed birdie...
so i came into the guest room this a.m. to see if he would play fetch again, YEP... so now we have a way to bond, interact. he tipped over the water bowl so then layed his chin on it and wrapped his paws around it wondering wheree did the water go
but Folks, it gets even BETTER, i know, is that even POSSIBLE?!!!!!!
drum roll momentous moment: i decided to PICK HIM UP (i'd tried one other time but he wasn't ready) so i lifted him up and then deposited him on the bed beside me where he has sat before. he was fine, didn't seem that "into me" but that will come.... little did i know what a breakthrough picking him up would so quickly lead to in our relationship......... i picked him up a 2nd time while i was standing, after i put him down and he strolled by my legs and HEADBUMPED me, YEP. how incredible was THAT?!!! he did it several times in various spots of the room, twined himself through my legs when i sat down to write this...

OH MY GOSH this is incredible the milestones we have made in just ELEVEN DAYS.....truth be told i've gone from being afraid, his HISS is intimidating, very respectful of him, after all he is pretty darn big and just stares at me with his golden eyes,  to seeing how awesome having a relationship with an F2 is gonna be..I'm so thankful to Adrianne of AJSavannahs for her trust we were the right family for Squeak and her help along with Andrew in SC for clueing me in on how to get an Adult Savannah to adapt in a new home. couldn't be doing this without their help. Plus i have other Savannah breeders willing to assist also... Brigette and the whole Savannah rescue community, you folks are awesome!!! I'm so glad Squeak's prior owners chose us and I'm sad our happiness is at a reversely sad time for them...

of course we've got to get him to bond equally as well (OK maybe i can always be his favorite..;-D) with my husband and son...and both he and i have to be comfortable with me picking him up in any situation, such as when in a new room or something startles him, or heaven forbid he is too aggessive with our other lovely pet family members so this is a work in progress but what FUN work....

i haven't a doubt that our other Savannah is gonna love this guy we got to be his playmate, they are already playing footsie under the door...and wish i could read my Whippet's mind when she sees him, this might be the nicest thing she thinks: " CAT?! are you nuts, what kind of cat is that? he is huge"

NEWS FLASH i just picked him up and held him against my chest. he started PURRING NEWS FLASH
I haven't rated one HISS from him today

4 comments:

catbyte said...

Congratulations on your beautiful new baby! I just know you will have years and years of love and happiness with that handsome boy.

Congratulations again!

Diane
Anishinaabe in MI

Unknown said...

I think it is great that he's coming around so quickly, I think it just shows what a good choice Adrianne made selecting you as the new owner for Squeak :-)

Rising Spirit said...

Jeanne, he is beautiful and what a great story! You are obviously dong things just exactly right for him, not rushing him into a relationship. Please keep us updated!

Echo said...

Told you he was a good boy :) I'm so glad he is taking so well to his new home. We miss him very much but we know he's in good hands.